We are looking for a talented and hardworking Apprentice Service Technician or Journeyman to join the Xcel Energy team in Phillips, Wisconsin! This challenging and rewarding position is responsible for a variety of duties involving gas and electric operations.
You will work as a team member on gas and electric crews as a second or third person, laborer and/or groundman. You will perform a variety of tasks that include, but are not limited to:
- Locating gas lines and underground electric cable.
- Disconnecting and reconnecting gas and electric meters for stop and start service
- Performing meter changes for single phase electric and gas periodic meters.
- Performing gas leak and public building surveys.
- Responding to gas emergencies and odor calls.
- Reading gas and electric meters and following routes as needed.
- Perform gas DOT survey and compliance work as trained and qualified
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
In this position, you will need to be self-motivated, work well on a team and have a positive attitude. A strong commitment to work safely, provide quality customer service, create customer satisfaction, and to work productively will be very important to your success. When qualified, you will be placed on an on-call roster for emergency call-outs.
Successful applicants will have a High school diploma or GED and meet the following criteria:
- Additional training in natural gas, electricity or related fields is required.
- Must meet driver qualification requirements as specified in FMCSR Parts 382 and 391 including the possession of a valid Commercial Drivers License Class A.
- Experience locating gas and electric underground facilities is preferred.
- A high awareness of safety and compliance with company safety rules.
- Must reside within 20 miles of the Phillips Office. Relocation of employee's household is required within 6 months of employment and will be the responsibility of the employee.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and successfully work with customers on a wide range of concerns.
- Must be willing and able to respond to after-hour emergency call-outs.
- Experience reading gas and electric meters desired.