The attorney would be responsible for providing advice and counsel on matters relating to state economic regulation of Xcel Energy operating company Public Service of Colorado including representation primarily before the Colorado Public Utility Commission. The person will be responsible for preparation of rate case filings; certificates of need; and other required regulatory filings. This individual will supervise a team of in-house counsel as well as managing outside firms assisting the company on state regulatory matters. They will also oversee and coordinate regulatory matters in Southwestern Public Service Company.
The position requires strong writing and verbal advocacy skills and familiarity with administrative proceedings as well as strong interpersonal skills and knowledge of the electric industry. Individual should have experience in working with expert witness testimony; contested case hearings; and advocacy skills that can address the legal, policy, and factual implications of decisions.
- Represents PSCo before regulatory agencies
- Provides counsel to PSCo on legal, business and strategic issues related to state economic regulation
- Provides leadership on major regulatory projects to assure strategy, policy and facts are well aligned
- Supervise other in-house counsel in the state regulatory practice area for PSCo and SPS and provide direction and coaching of attorneys within area of expertise
- Manage outside counsel assisting on regulatory matters
- Prepares or reviews regulatory pleadings, testimony, exhibits, legislation, rules, contracts, agreements and other documents
- Provide opinions on policy questions and legal implications of PSCo operations