For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf
A Tree Surgeon climbs, prunes, trims, treats, sprays, plants, fertilizes, transplants and removes trees along City streets and highways, in City parks, over private property and on public grounds to eliminate hazardous conditions, prevent interference with traffic, traffic signals and overhead lines and equipment, and to preserve and maintain the trees.
- One year of full-time paid experience with the City of Los Angeles as a Tree Surgeon Assistant or in a class at least at that level performing tree trimming or treatment work; or
- One year of full-time paid experience as a tree surgeon, which includes climbing trees using spurs, climbers, ropes and safety belts and using power saws, aerial lifts, power winches, booms or similar equipment.
- A valid California Class B driver's license with medical certificate is required for all positions. Some positions may require the license prior to appointment, while other positions require that the license be obtained prior to completion of the six-month probation period. Applicants for such positions may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the past 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation such as driving under the influence.
- Possession of a current International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Tree Worker Certificate is highly desirable but not required.
- Achievement of a qualifying score on the optional written test for high voltage line clearance work is required if you wish to be considered for such positions with the Department of Water and Power.
In accordance with Charter Section 1010 (b) and Civil Service Rule 5.31, selective certification will be used for some positions in the Department of Water and Power that require special skills and/or training for high voltage line clearance work. Eligibles will be considered in the order of standing on the eligible list to fill such positions. Only those persons who meet the additional requirements stated below may be considered for appointment to fill such positions by the Department of Water and Power:
- Achievement of a qualifying score on the high voltage line clearance multiple-choice written test; and
- Proof of experience as a 'Qualified Line Clearance Tree Trimmer,' as defined by the California Electrical Safety Orders, Section 2700: 'a minimum of 18 months related training and on-the-job experience and is familiar with the special techniques and hazards involved in line clearance tree trimming operations.'
- Applicants who wish to be considered for positions involving high voltage line clearance work will have 7 calendar days from the on-line application submission date to submit a copy of their proof of work experience. Applicants who fail to submit this document within the time required will not be considered further for positions involving high voltage line clearance work and will not be scheduled for the optional high voltage line clearance multiple-choice written test. A copy of the proof of work experience may be attached to the on-line application at the time of filing or delivered to the Personnel Department at 700 East Temple Street, Room 100, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE:
Applications will only be accepted online. When you are viewing the online job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the 'Apply' icon. Online job bulletins are also available at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm for Open Competitive Examinations and at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1 for Promotional Examinations.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
This examination may close without prior notice at any time after a sufficient number of applications have been received. For administrative purposes, filing may close periodically and reopen the following day.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the written test in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received. Applications submitted during the filing period will be kept on file for two years from April 11, 2014 in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
Examination Weight: Performance Test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
Candidates will be notified later by mail of the time and location of the performance test, which will be held in Los Angeles. It is anticipated that the performance test will begin in JUNE, 2014.
Apply for this Job