Bruce Power is privately owned and proud to be the world's largest nuclear generator producing more than 30 percent of Ontario's Power. The Bruce Power site is a key element to Ontario's plan to phase out coal in Ontario. A revitalized eight-unit Bruce Power site provides 70 percent of the energy needed to phase out coal in the province.
Our Vision remains as Canada's World Class Nuclear Operator. Bruce Power is committed to providing safe, reliable, affordable and environmentally sound electricity. We will achieve this through living our values which will condition every decision and action we take. We will leverage the skills and creativity of our Bruce Power team to achieve sustainable performance excellence.
To help achieve our business plans, Bruce Power currently has an opportunity for a Health Physicist in our Radiation Protection Department.
Carry out the standard accountabilities of the health physicist under the general direction of the supervisor; perform radiation protection duties in an assigned area. Participate with Supervisor in carrying out various responsibilities regarding radiation protection as it pertains to the protection of personnel on site, and the general public residing in the vicinity of the site.
- Prepare or revise Radiation Protection Program documents.
- Solve radiation problems arising in Bruce Power, and assess on a continuing basis the effectiveness of such solutions.
- Prepare routine reports on station radiological conditions and assist in the preparation of reports for outside regulatory authorities on the radiation protection program in the station.
- Investigate non-routine radiation protection problems and make recommendations as to their resolution.
- Interpret policy and procedures and provide technical assistance in health physics and provide information to assist in the approval of radiation protection methods and equipment.
- Participate in planning and scheduling meetings as required to represent Radiation Protection standards.
- Perform other duties as required.
Skills and Knowledge:
- A sound knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, health physics or nuclear engineering and appropriate related mathematics as necessary to understand and apply radiation protection principles and theories.
- General knowledge of radiation protection principles and theories and of the design and operation of CANDU nuclear stations.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, work on jobs with tight deadlines and conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without having direct authority.
- Good facility in written and oral English to write procedures and reports, to deliver training and make presentations to all levels of staff.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year University Degree in the area of science or engineering such as Health Physics, Medical Physics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nuclear Engineering, Engineering Physics, etc
- Over 6 years of relevant health physicist's work experience in the nuclear industry.
Situated on the Lake Huron shoreline between the towns of Kincardine and Saugeen Shores, Bruce Power offers a competitive compensation package and a rare opportunity to balance both lifestyle and career development.
We offer world class technology with small town living, and Bruce County is a wonderful place to work, play and raise a family. Bruce Power offers a competitive compensation package and a rare opportunity to balance both lifestyle and career development. Discover what it is like to work at Bruce Power http://www.brucepower.com/category/meet-our-people/
In order to ensure you are given full consideration for this position, please ensure your candidate profile is completely filled out and up to date. The information in the candidate profile will be used in the selection process to assess candidacy for this position. We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bruce Power is proud to be an equal opportunity employer; valuing and respecting diversity. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups.