Clean water and reliable electricity are at the heart of what we do. We proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America's premier providers of essential services, and we have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it. If you're looking for new opportunities, people who care and work that matters, apply today to find a career where you matter more. Check out epcor.com/careers to find out more.
Electricity Operations is responsible for the electrical transmission and distribution systems in the City of Edmonton, with a focus on safety, reliability, and innovative and practical solutions. Our employees look after electrical infrastructure as well as the underground and aerial distribution networks.
The Manager, Civil Construction is accountable for the performance of the Civil Construction operations area within Electricity Operations Distribution group. This role is responsible for managing activities related to capital, applicable jobbing and maintenance for the Civil Construction area. This includes ensuring that established work priorities are followed and that a safe work environment is fostered through a fully staffed and qualified work force.
One (1) permanent, full-time position is available.
The Manager, Civil Construction is accountable to the Senior Manager, Distribution Operations and operates within the context and prescribed limits established by the Senior Manager. The Manager, Civil Construction is responsible for the following:
- Providing input to the Senior Manager's plans and directions and ensuring an appropriate understanding of the organization's and Senior Manager's strategy throughout Distribution Operations.
- Ensuring on-going effective positioning and appropriate relationships between the Manager Civil Construction and other Manager positions in the Distribution & Transmission group as well as within the broader organization.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing the department specific business plan within the context of the Distribution & Transmission business plan (including mission, vision, values, strategic positioning, operational plan and resource plan).
- Ensuring deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated, and include performance what by when metrics.
- Identifying the necessary budget requirements for the provision of Civil Construction support to the Distribution & Transmission area including major projects and to other Distribution & Transmission areas with fully staffed and qualified personnel.
- Creating and managing a strong team of employees, including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment, retention, and development.
- Proactively supporting a safe work environment and achievement of the goal for a zero injury culture, ensuring employee cyclical training and acting on training opportunities.
- Managing costs at the work order level and expediting work order accuracy and closure.
- Promoting efficiencies through effective co-ordination of Operations crews.
- Promoting and supporting planning and scheduling initiatives and actively supporting priorities established by the Planning team to complete prioritized work within set timeframes.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing policies, procedures and processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, and regulatory requirements as well as ensuring mitigation of risks.
- Specifying vehicle and equipment requirements for the Civil Construction area; ensuring vehicle and equipment compliance to local regulations including permits and load securement.
- Conducting Incident Investigations, identifying root causes and implementing corrective actions.
- Ensuring clarity of accountabilities and authorities for employees.
- Maintaining an active involvement in employee developmental plans, performance reviews and advancement opportunities.
- Developing and nurturing a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented work force that is easy to do business with.
The successful candidate will possess the following education, experience and skills:
- Trades or technology background in an area related to Construction or heavy equipment is required. Applicable education/certifications may include Certified Journeyman Power Lineman, Construction or Safety supervisor, P.Eng or Engineer Tech.
- A minimum 5 years' experience in managing construction crews is required. 5 or more years in power line construction or design is highly preferred.
- Experience within an electric utility preferred.
- Strong understanding of applicable regulations (OU&S, AEUC, Safety) is required.
- Strong understanding of power line construction and material and construction standards is required.
- Experience in managing a unionized workforce is desired.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator's License is required.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and Oracle is required.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will have the ability to lead a team of utility workers and equipment operators to complete work and projects to ensure they are done in an effective, efficient and safe manner. The Manager, Civil Construction is expected to have thorough knowledge of industry work practices, procedures and safety applications. Strong people management skills are necessary for success in this role as well as the ability to work independently. The ability to use communication skills and strategies in order to gain buy in from the field is required.
Hours of Work: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- Five paid personal days off each year
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
2000-10423 101 Street NW
Other relevant information
How To Apply
Thank you for your interest in a career with EPCOR. Due to the large volume of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
EPCOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are filled by means of open competition where the selection is based on job-related skills, training, experience, suitability and, where appropriate, seniority. Please note that all EPCOR positions are subject to background screening, criminal and professional reference checks. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
EPCOR only accepts resumes via on-line application at www.epcor.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered.