Assist in the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities. Drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment.
The following list sets forth the principal duties required for the job. This list is not intended to limit assignment of work or the degree of supervision under all operating conditions. Employee may perform miscellaneous, related, and incidental work in addition to that specifically outlined below.
1. Opens and closes switches and installs grounding devices to lines and equipment.
2. Climbs poles or rides in bucket to install or repair wires, arms, insulators or other hardware on poles.
3. Install and repair underground facilities such as cable, transformers, potheads and pedestals.
4. Installs pole hardware and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lightning arresters, switches, fuses and insulators, using hand tools and mechanical devices.
5. Covers energized lines with rubber goods to facilitate safe handling of high-voltage lines without interrupting service. Uses insulated poles (hot sticks) fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools to perform energized line work up to 138 KV or rubber gloves and sleeves to perform energized line work up to 15 KV.
Work Hours / Travel Requirements
40 hours per week with overtime and travel as required.
High School Education/GED
Applicable years experience as apprentice lineman -Journeyman certification will determine appropriate classification.
Special Qualifications (Training, Skills ETC.)
Must have the ability to climb and work at heights.
Must possess and maintain a valid CDL A state driver s license. Must have the ability to communicate with employees, customers and the general public in a courteous and proper manner.
Must be available for overtime callout including weekends and holidays.
Must pass AEP Pre-Assessment Evaluation.
Successful completion of the CAST selection test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information and Tips, and the CAST practice test may be helpful. A link to this materials may be found at aep.com/careers by selecting Employment Testing.
Required to reside within a 25 mile radius or with 30 roadway miles of dock/work location.