The Labor Relations Program Manager manages the APS Labor Relations strategies to advance the Company's overall strategic goals and values and reflect sound principles of human resources management. Develops and maintains a culture where employees are consistently treated with dignity, respect and fairness in accordance with the Company values so that employees that are not currently represented see no compelling need or value in seeking third party representation. Maximizes union workforce flexibility, efficiency and productivity by building and maintaining a strong Company/Union partnership that fosters a collaborative working relationship between the Company and the Unions at all levels of the organization while preserving management's discretion to make the ultimate decisions regarding how to most effectively operate the business. Reporting to the Labor Relations Director, the LR Program Manager plays a leading role with union leadership on labor relations issues and is responsible for managing those issues, including the handling of grievances, discipline and contract interpretation, and takes a lead role in the preparation for labor contract negotiations and the administration of the contract. The LR Program Manager is responsible for conducting Labor Relations training, supporting the LR Director in the development of labor strategy, participation in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements and managing relationships with union leadership. The LR Program Manager works closely with other HR functions, and collaborates with APS Leaders.
Bachelors degree in Business, Human Resources, or a related area and more than five (5) years of progressive professional level experience in labor and employee relations, OR an equivalent combination of eight (8) or more years of relevant work experience and college coursework in a related area. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. Knowledge of the fundamentals, emerging trends and developments in Labor and Employee Relations.
- Manages and implements labor strategies to support high-level corporate goals, including proactive strategies to ensure employees that are not currently represented see no compelling need or value in seeking third party representation.
- Plays a leading role in the union relationship and strategically coordinates union relationships and interfaces with line leaders and HR.
- Plays a lead role in collective bargaining agreement preparation, negotiations and strategies.
- Serves as the main contact with union for grievance resolution.
- Researches and monitors industry trends and developments.
- Provides subject matter and project leadership for APS Leaders.
- Provides project leadership on Labor Relations initiatives.
- Consults with in house legal counsel on Labor Relations issues.
- Assists where needed during Union organizing campaigns.
- Researches arbitration and Labor Board decisionsto support company positions in discipline and contract interpretation casese.
- Develops related policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Develops programs to improve leader effectiveness in union avoidance strategies and contract administration.
- Trains leaders and HR team on union contract and labor relations topics.